Thursday, October 15, 2009

Blindness

Directed by Fernando Meirelles
Starring Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo and Danny Glover

Sorry no witty title...it was too good! Also got distracted reading the imdb message boards....

SYNOPSIS: Before you read this I highly recommend that you read the book by Pulitzer Prize winning author Jose Saramago of the same name. Basically the plot centers around an outbreak of "blindness" in a small city. In Saramago's book it's a metaphor for human interaction and he probes the depths of what it means to be human in his book.

THE POSITIVE: I don't want to end up talking about the book but it's written almost stream of consciousness without names or punctuation. I was quite surprised when it had been adapted, but didn't go see it because I read critical reviews that panned it. Remind me never to trust critics again. I thought it was beautifully and wonderfully acted by everyone involved. Julianne Moore especially stands out because in the film she is not affected by the outbreak. So of course a lot of the film centers around her and how she copes in a world suddenly without sight. The cinematography was also excellent. Saramago's novel is very visual and the film conveys that through point-of-view shots and steadicam work. There's also a washed out look to most of the film that really works with the tone and subject. Basically I loved it.

I'm going to digress here and talk about my somewhat hypocritcal stance on film adaptations. While I agree a film should stand on its own as a work separate from its literary counterpart that is not to say that it should completely disregard the literary works original style, tone, and substance to achieve that end. This film is a balancing act for me. Since I've read the book I obviously got a lot more out of it than the average user a fact brought home to me when reading the imdb message boards for the film that read WORST FILM EVER. And there's not just one like, there are several. Then upon actually reading what people have to say and discovering that their opinions are completely uninformed and unjustified makes me want to go on a long and extensive rant. Which I am doing right now on this blog since I refuse to post on the message boards. But what was I saying...Oh a balancing act yes. For the average moviegoer this film is not the average movie. It requires a little more understanding to work it out. I'm not in a position to say if without reading the book you could enjoy because I have read the book therefore my opinion on the subject can't really be taken into account, but I do think if you walk into the film with an open mind you can sincerely enjoy it.

Whew! Done that was a long one sorry about that...Also since I like to think of myself as a filmmaker, even though I don't make films. Basically I fantasize about turning movies into books. When I finished this book I had a perfect shot in my head for the ending and guess what? THEY DID IT!! That alone sealed the deal for me liking it.

THE NEGATIVE: There isn't any...it's just so awesome. I guess a negative would be that you have to read a book to fully understand it, but since when is reading a book a bad thing? In fact go read the book right now.

THE VERDICT: Definitely see it! It's on netflix right now!!! With or without having read the book! It's totally awesome!

I give it 5 out of 5*...yes you read that right.

1 comment: