Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Let's Celebrate Mediocrity: Whip It!

Directed by Drew Barrymore
Starring Ellen Page, Drew Barrymore, Kristen Wiig, Juliet Lewis and Academy Award Winner Marcia Gay Harden

SYNOPSIS: In the small town in Bodine, Texas Bliss is a lost girl looking for her passion. Her mother forces her to do beauty pageants, but her real talent is in roller derby! Enter motley crew of bad ass roller derby girls! From there the film becomes about Bliss affirming her identity and challenging her town's preconceptions.

THE POSITIVE: Once again Ellen Page manages to blow me away. Her range is great and she really does a great job in this film. The rest of the cast supports her well. Kristen Wiig once again shines being both comedic and dramatic. Drew Barrymore plays a sideline in the film, but it's actually very nice to see an actor-director not insert themselves unnaturally in a film (I'm looking at you M.Night Shyamalan!) I also thought the story was well written and executed. It managed to be both light-hearted and touching at the same time.

THE NEGATIVE: I thought this film could have done with some editing. It was a little too long. There seems to be a trend going on with longer films, but this story could have been told in less time. Even though I found the story interesting I knew where it was going. I don't know if this is just me, but it seems like every movie I've seen recently has been a little unexciting. While I liked this film I didn't really get very excited by it.

THE VERDICT: I think it's a cute story and despite my qualms it's worth seeing. So go support Drew's directorial debut at the box office!

I give it 3 out of 5.*

No comments:

Post a Comment