Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hahahahahahaha: Gamer

Directed by Neveldine/Taylor
Starring Gerard Butler, Amber Valletta, Kyra Sedgewick, and Micheal C. Hall

Since I haven't seen any other movies this week (I'm busy ok!) I thought I would "review" Gamer.

THE POSITIVE: The cinematography was pretty good actually. There were some very cool shots and they really tried to mimic the feel of playing an actual game. Lots of action. There was also an interesting concept to the movie, I mean what if we really could play people. The storyline held together reasonably well. Also soooo many cameos.

THE NEGATIVE: It was just ridiculous. So poorly executed of a concept. The legal ramifications notwithstanding the motives of the "villain" didn't make any sense. Having absolute control of something is a standard villain trope, but usually there's a purpose. I mean what kind of goal is to have control of people just for kicks? Even that might have been acceptable if Michael C. Hall's character was a little more sociopathic or insane. I mean he was an evil genius, but the creation of the game netted him millions of dollars and status as one of the most powerful men in America. They wanted to go with a puppetmaster angle, but he just didn't play it crazy enough for that. Also the story just fell apart at the end. And it was ridiculous, did I mention that?

THE VERDICT: Should you go see it? Hahahahahahaha...no no don't ever ever ever see it. Ever. Ever.

I give it 1 out of 5 stars.*

Even though this movie was silly I will do an Actor's Spotlight on Michael C. Hall because I love him. I don't really blame him for not being crazy enough because he was really trying his hardest to act like a complete sociopath (which he does well: DEXTER!). The script just didn't establish his motivations at all and I can see that he tried to ramp up the insanity with all of his scenes, but there's not much to do when you really only have about 10 minutes of screen time. 5 minutes of that was also a song and dance number which was totally awesome! I'm actually being serious. This number at the end of the movie is the only reason to see the movie. He sings and he dances! Is there anything Michael C. Hall can't do?!! I think the answer is possibly be more awesome.

Sidenote: Amber Valletta looks exactly like Radha Mitchell and I've been pretty much been thinking Radha Mitchell has been in all the movies I've seen with Amber Valletta. These include: Gamer, Transporter 2, Hitch, and Raising Helen (yes I saw this movie).

No comments:

Post a Comment