Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Who Says You Can't Rewrite History?: Inglourious Basterds

Directed by Quentin Tarantino
Starring Brad Pitt, Eli Roth, Melanie Laurent, Christoph Waltz, Diane Krueger, and Daniel Bruhl

Yes it's spelled correctly.

SYNOPSIS: The plot is too crazy and convoluted to really explain, but basically it's a about a guerilla unit of Jewish-American soldiers in France fighting the Nazis.

THE POSITIVE: So much killing. Ok I know some of you might not have me pegged as a blood and gore kind of girl, I guess I inherited it from my dad. I like action and violence and this film definitely has a ton of both. The thing you really have to remember when watching a Tarantino film is that the action, story, and characters have no basis in real life. They belong to a different world that exists only in Quentin's head. I really liked it, it was typically Tarantino, but it was also a lot of fun. Which one of us wouldn't want to rewrite the Holocaust, and he was just crazy enough to do it. He makes caricatures of Hitler's high command and glorifies the American's even as they do the most barbaric things but it all just makes sense some how. It was also shot beautifully. There is some great cinematography in this film and of course the music is perfect! Also I loved the film splicing techniques and Samuel L. Jackson narrating the properties of nitrate film stock...what could be better than that?

THE NEGATIVE: It's hard to write something negative, because the film is just so different, and unexpected than anything out there. Yes the violence is a little absurd, but it's also so obviously fake and over the top. The story is convoluted and unbelieveable, but that's the point of the movie! It's long, but honestly I didn't notice I was so involved. It's great! GO SEE IT!

THE VERDICT: For real, dog, though if you don't like a lot of violence this movie is not for you. If you like you're movies to be grounded in reality (which doesn't make sense, why would I want to watch my own life?) than this film is not for you. If you don't like reading subtitles-also not for you. But for whoever's left go see it! I saw it twice!! Double Points! (also I got carded because I look like I'm 12, but that only put a slight damper on the evening).

I give it 5 out of 5!*

No comments:

Post a Comment