Monday, September 14, 2009

Hilarity Ensues: The Office Season 5

Starring Steve Carell, Jenna Fischer, John Krasinski, and Rainn Wilson

SYNOPSIS: The series chronicles the events of a regional branch of a fictional paper company. It's shot in a documentary style. But really you should know this because you should be watching it already. Season 6 premieres this Thursday at 9!

REVIEW: This DVD set is definitely worth picking up. I usually don't buy whole seasons of shows, but this has commentaries, deleted scenes, a gag reel, and some other featurettes. I really love the show and it's great to re-watch everything especially without commercials!

The commentary is also very funny! They can sometimes go off topic, but it still ends up being funny or informative about the show. Some of the commentary they picked though were a little strange to me. There's one with the caterers of the show which I thought was odd and I would have preferred more commentary with the stars of the shows rather than the behind-the-scenes people though that's always interesting to me.

The deleted scenes are also really good. With most films the deleted scenes deserve to be deleted, but with these I think they just don't have enough time because at 3/4 of them are hilarious! I also liked that their are deleted scenes for each episode and not just some-it's great to see what they took out and some of the bits also say more about the characters or the story arc.

The other features that caught my eye were the webisodes and the gag reel. The webisodes are mini-arcs with supporting characters. They were both funny and we learn a lot more about the characters. I wish that you could play them continuously instead of having a credit break in-between, but since they were on the web they were originally distinct episodes and, presumably, put up each week rather than all at once. The gag reel is also really funny. I love gag reels because you get to see a little more about the production and this one is excellent. It's not just people messing up their lines or laughing, though there is a lot of that, but their also some cast pranks and funny moments.

THE VERDICT: If you're a fan I would definitely say it's worth buying. There's also a special package version with the Schrute beet farm as the theme. I think you get a stress beet, mousepad, and some other Schrute farm related things. If you're not a fan go out and buy season 1 and watch it!

No comments:

Post a Comment