Wednesday, September 30, 2009

No Teenager Talks Like That: Jennifer's Body

Directed by Karyn Kusama, Written by Diablo Cody
Starring Megan Fox and Amanda Seyfried

SYNOPSIS: Two best friends become seperated over the fact that one of them becomes a man-eating demon monster, standard high school drama.

THE POSITIVE: I thought the acting was really good and it was pretty well written. I don't really like Diablo Cody's writing because she kind of invents this language that no one speaks in, but it's turned down in this film unlike in Juno. Megan Fox was great playing her "type" a beautiful airhead and Amanda Seyfried was great as her dependent best friend. I thought the storyline was pretty good as well.

THE NEGATIVE: This is where marketing can bite you in the ass. I think they marketed this movie entirely wrong. They tried to make it a vehicle for Megan Fox but she's just doesn't have that kind of star power yet. If they had gone a more standard horror flick route I think it might have had better box office success. That being said it's not your standard horror flick, it's not even scary. It's more like an exercise in the horror genre-like a film student reexamining what the horror genre means. All in all I think it tries to hard to subvert the genre without making any kind of point about it, but maybe this is because I just don't like Diablo Cody.

THE VERDICT: I think it's worth seeing. It's got good acting, a reasonably good storyline, and some pretty funny lines. But you can also wait for the DVD.

I give it 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment